Website The Trevor Project
The Director of Foundation and Government Grants is responsible for the creation and management of an ambitious plan to develop institutional foundation and government partnerships that support The Trevor Project’s mission to end suicide amongst LGBTQ youth. The ideal candidate will manage the planning, organization, and implementation of an effective foundation giving program. They will also play a role in fundraising from state, local and federal government entities. This individual also directs all aspects of successful institutional giving, including prospecting, stewardship, restricted and unrestricted funding, grant writing and relationship management.
Who you are:
- Builder. You have managed six-figure+, multi-year grants in a portfolio and grew it substantially. You’re excited about the opportunity to take the status quo as just a starting point, then implement & execute ambitious plans for sustained growth
- Relationship Manager. You have the ability to cultivate relationships across industries. You have demonstrated ability to network in esteemed philanthropy circles to drive mission awareness and support.
- Strategic. You set aggressive goals that are achievable, then focus on exceeding them step by step. You know which levers to strategically pull to reach goals.
- Experienced. You’re an expert with the grant writing process for multi-year proposals, with at least a six-figure ask. You know the institutional foundations arena and the players and bring a strategic vision to the work
- Driven by Data. You enjoy developing and working with fundraising data from platforms such as Salesforce. You are an analytical and metrics-driven leader
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork. You are comfortable with traveling to help foster our bi-coastal team and meet with different foundations
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity, pushing for what you need when necessary, and working through competing priorities. You are an independent leader, able to work effectively in a fast paced environment
- Innovative. You love to come up with big bold ideas. You know that what worked for one organization might not work for another and know how to integrate old strategies with new ones. You look at the way things are and then imagine 20 ways they can be improved
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth and mental health. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too
What you’ll do:
- Develop and execute ambitious growth plans related to institutional foundations (such as Gates, Robinhood, Ford Foundation, etc.) and city, state, federal government grants for the next three to five years based on organizational priorities and future funding goals
- Develop compelling proposals, as well as accurate reports and impact analyses for all institutional foundation and government funders
- Build senior leader relationships in order to identify and execute stewardship opportunities with foundation and government funders to encourage sustained support and ongoing trust
- Maintain the calendar of solicitation, stewardship, and reporting requirements for foundation and government funders including grant guidelines and milestones.
- Evaluate and analyze existing foundation and government grant pipeline and strategies for short and long term impact
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to identify funding opportunities in line with government and institutional foundation giving
- Collaborate with program staff to shape proposals that support and further the mission of The Trevor Project
- Work across departments, particularly finance and program teams, to ensure compliance with grant terms and restrictions and to develop budget documents and solicitation materials
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including Summer Fridays
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Fun office environment and passionate team. It’s NBD around here if Daniel Radcliffe or Katy Perry drops into our office
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people every day
How to Apply
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
You must sign in to apply for this position.