Website National Center for Transgender Equality
The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) seeks a Foundations Manager/Associate to work closely with the Development and Programs team members to increase overall support from foundations. This includes renewing and increasing funding from current foundations while identifying and building support from new foundation supporters. Located in Washington D.C., this position reports to the Director of Development.
About NCTE and NCTE Action Fund
The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) is a strong voice for transgender people in our nation’s capital. NCTE advocates for policy change at federal, state, and local levels and works to increase societal understanding and acceptance of transgender people. NCTE has a serious commitment to approaching and engaging in its work with an awareness of how racial and economic justice is intertwined with transgender justice, and a commitment to ensuring that policymakers and society understand the connection as well. Launched in 2017, the National Center for Transgender Equality Action Fund (NCTE Action Fund) is a 501(c)(4) non-profit advocacy organization fighting for transgender equality at the local, state, and federal levels, affiliated with NCTE. The two organizations share office space and staff, including this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Steward Current Foundation Supporters: Write and submit all reports and renewal proposals for active foundations on time, with guidance from Policy and Programs team members and Director of Development. Set stewardship and cultivation plans and maintain record of all interactions and deadlines in Raisers Edge for all active foundations. Manage personalized grant acknowledgement and thank you letters for all active foundations.
- Manage Portfolio of Foundation Supporters: Manage, cultivate, and steward a portfolio of foundation supporters. Develop and maintain strong, positive relationships with foundation program officers. Execute all interactions including writing and submission of applications, acknowledgements, updates, and reports.
- Identify Prospective Major Supporters: Research and identify potential new major donors and foundation supporters including identifying any family foundations associated with a particular individual donor. Coordinate meetings with prospective foundation program officers for NCTE staff to discuss its work and, where possible, develop strong relationships with foundation prospects. Support the preparation of donor strategy briefings, funding proposals, and talking points.
- Apply to Prospective Foundation Supporters: Write new letters of inquiry, proposals, and budgets, and coordinate review of these with Policy and Programs team members and Director of Development with a goal of 2-4 new submissions per month. Set stewardship and cultivation plans and track all research, submissions, and interactions in Raisers Edge and NCTE’s prospecting spreadsheet.
- Increase Engagement with all Major Supporters: Manage systems related to major donors’ experience. Proactively engage with other departments to remain informed about NCTE’s work ensuring our most committed supporters are apprised of NCTE’s victories and accomplishments—especially within their respective interest areas. Coordinate and prepare personalized updates to all current funders and high priority prospects on relevant news and activities including composing, editing, and/or proofreading donor communications and annual appeals. When possible, schedule visits and calls with foundation staff and/or trustees.
- Other Duties As Assigned: NCTE is a small nonprofit. This position may need to provide additional administrative support for development department, as assigned.
- Education: No specific degree is required for this position.
- Foundations Experience: Foundation research skills and the ability to effectively identify, segment, and prioritize prospective supporters. [Note, the job title will be Foundations Associate if 3 or less years of experience, and Foundations Manager if more than 3 years experience.]
- Communication Skills: Skilled in verbal and written communication; experience in producing successful donor correspondence including grant proposals, grant reports, and letters of inquiry.
- Detail Orientation: Excellent organizational skills, with superior attention to detail and strong follow-through are essential. Desire and demonstrated ability to create and maintain order within a fast-moving environment while ensuring consistent quality in work product.
- Interpersonal Skills: Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build long-term relationships with key stakeholders. Ability to represent the organization to donors as well as interface with all levels of staff and volunteers while maintaining tact, diplomacy and confidentiality. Ability to work as integral part of a team of fun-loving, hard-working professionals, taking input from a diverse group of colleagues.
- Prioritization: Ability to set and meet goals, prioritize, execute and manage multiple projects through to completion while meeting tight deadlines.
- Self-direction: Ability to be self-sufficient in a small staff environment. Demonstrated ability to solve problems, anticipate actions, and use creative means to complete tasks on a daily basis.
- Experience: Demonstrated ability to manage fundraising efforts, and track actions and deadlines is desired. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and online search engines.
- Understanding of Transgender Justice: An understanding of issues affecting transgender people as well as an understanding of how racism, classism and other systems of inter-connected oppressions affect trans people.
- Understanding of Racial and Economic Justice: An understanding of racial and economic justice and systems of inter-connected oppressions.
- Optimism: An optimism that is unwavering, with a can-do attitude and a problem-solving orientation, and the assumption that most people are also trying to improve the world.
- Strength and Persistence: The ability to be exposed to transphobia and other kinds of discrimination or stress on a daily basis and keep fighting hard for transgender equality.
- Flexibility: Ability to shift one’s one work and expectations given the nature of our work and how it can change quickly.
Salary and Benefits
For many years, NCTE has maintained high-level benefits and competitive salaries. For this position, the salary range is $55,000-$75,000 with the candidate’s skills and experience determining where they fall in the range. However, for candidates with more than 10 years of experience, salaries above this range may be considered. NCTE offers a strong, generous benefits package that includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision and health insurance, employer contributions to retirement, pre-tax Metro benefits, paid holidays, vacation, sick and volunteer time off. For information about salary, benefits, and working at NCTE, see https://transequality.org/about/jobs.
The Foundations Manager/Associate is a full-time position working out of our office in Washington, DC. For applicants who reside outside the Washington, DC metropolitan area, NCTE offers assistance with relocation expenses. Note: The health of our community is important, especially during the COVID-19 crisis. We anticipate this position starting as remote.
Application and Timeline
Apply via our Applicant Portal at: https://secure.entertimeonline.com/ta/NCTE.careers?CareersSearch. Please, no calls. For more information about timeline and what to expect during the application process, see https://transequality.org/about/jobs.
The National Center for Transgender Equality is an equal opportunity employer. For our full EEO policy, see https://transequality.org/about/jobs.
NCTE is committed to creating a diverse staff made of people who are hardworking, kind, optimistic and committed to social justice from all segments of transgender and allied communities.
Transgender people, including non-binary people, people of color, people who were formerly incarcerated, and people with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
NCTE provides reasonable accommodations for the application, interview, or any other aspect of the employee selection process to applicants with disabilities. Please contact us via our confidential medical email at [email protected] so your request can be handled appropriately and confidentially.
You must sign in to apply for this position.