CLEAR Joins the ProsperUS Coalition
Today, the Center for LGBTQ Economic Advancement & Research is proud to join ProsperUS—a coalition of 40+ movement groups, labor organizations, think tanks, experts & advocates—to urge the government to act upon the overwhelmingly popular demands of the people.
We know the best hope for long-term and inclusive economic recovery is massive public investment that will create jobs, raise wages, and keep people out of poverty. Lessons from past recessions show us that lawmakers must act fast, invest boldly, and bail out people, especially Black and brown communities who have historically been exploited and excluded from our economy.
Together, we will build a resilient and inclusive economy that puts people first.
Learn more at ProsperUS.org.
ProsperUS Coalition Members:
- Action Center on Race and the Economy
- AFGE Local 704
- Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- California Immigrant Policy Center
- Center for American Progress
- Center for Economic Policy Research
- Center for Economic and Social Rights (CESR)
- Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP)
- Center for LGBTQ Economic Advancement & Research
- Center for Tax and Budget Accountability
- Coalition of Labor Union Women
- Colorado Fiscal Institute
- Communication Workers of America
- Economic Opportunity Institute
- Economic Policy Institute
- Employ America
- Federation of Protestant Welfare Agencies (FPWA)
- Groundwork Collaborative
- Health Care for American Now (HCAN)
- In the Public Interest
- Insight Center for Community Economic Development
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance
- Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy
- Invest in America
- Liberation in a Generation
- Make It Work Nevada
- National Partnership for Women & Families
- National Women’s Law Center
- New Jersey Policy Perspective
- Partnership for Working Families
- Public Citizen
- Service Employees International Union
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- State Innovation Exchange (SiX)
- Tax March
- The Center for Popular Democracy
- TIME’S UP Foundation
- United Church of Christ Justice and Witness Ministries
- Voices for Progress
- Working Families Party
ProsperUS Statement of Principles
The economic consensus is clear: the best hope for our economy to recover from this historic crisis is massive public investment to create jobs, raise wages, and keep people out of poverty.
ProsperUS is fighting for our government to invest in a healthy, thriving economy and peoples’ economic security to end this crisis and to build healthier communities and a stronger economy for the long-term.
Significant, equitable public investment is the only way to end the COVID-induced recession and rescue millions of families from economic ruin. It is key to addressing the harms government action and inaction have inflicted on workers, families, and communities, particularly Black and brown people, immigrants, disabled people, women, and other marginalized people.
In the face of rising authoritarianism, climate change, historic unemployment, and other daunting challenges, we can build trust in government by acting now to help people who are hurting. And it is the only way to restructure the economy and public institutions so that they address peoples’ needs and include all people in an authentic democracy.
bold, equitable public investment will build a stronger, more sustainable economy that works for all of us.
significant public investment is essential to address racial and gender disparities that long-preceded this economic crisis but are being dramatically exacerbated by COVID-19 and this recession.
government spending that prioritizes people’s needs is popular. People want government to use the tools it has, including public spending, to make our lives better. We will not be placated to with hand-wringing about “cost” or fear-mongering about “debt” when we know public investment will strengthen the economy.
effective, smart government spending can help each of us achieve the security, peace of mind, health, and wellbeing we deserve, and our leaders must prioritize those investments now.